Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Photowalk - South March Highlands

Today, I went to check out the South March Highlands Trails in Kanata. Right from the beginning I received a warm welcome by the local mosquito community. My own fault, who ventures near wetlands in the afternoon when it is warm and had been raining on and off the past few days? 

I heard a ton of birds singing but it was quite difficult for me to actually spot some of them. My urge to take my time and to look for the birds also took a major setback due to a freakishly huge bug, probably a horse-fly or something.  It kept buzzing around me most of the time and I had quite some fun trying to make sure I'm not getting bitten and also not to loose any equipment due to jerking arm movements. 

Fortunately the bug got annoyed with me not letting it sit down after a while and I could take a few pictures after all.


I really enjoyed seeing all different kinds of little wildflowers along the way.

 "Viceroy" butterfly

 very well maintained delivery-entrance to the mosquito buffet


Beautiful natural forest but not by foot after 4 pm. I would have loved to take a whole lot more pictures but the shear number of mosquitoes that surrounded me within seconds made me flee the scene out into a small clearing. Even there my relief was short lived because another (or the same??) horse-fly spotted me. At that point I decided to come back another day.


Regardless of all the mosquitoes I was very much enjoying the afternoon stroll and I'm looking forward to my next visit and further exploration of other parts of these trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment