Saturday, June 1, 2013

If you don't go out to nature, nature comes to you :)


Today had quite an interesting visitor. I have to say, that I was quite freaked out about it at first. Pepper, our cat, found it and tried to catch it and I was running after them both to prevent Pepper from catching it. I had no idea what it was and did not want him to get stung by some vasp or something.

I caught it with a glass and a piece of plastic which I slowly moved under the glass for the insect to be able to climb on it without getting injured. There it sat now and I first took a few pics through the glass. Since it was sitting very still, I was even able to remove the glass and get a cleaner shot.

Once the photo session was done (pretty quick, since I still did not know what kind of insect it was), I covered it again with the glass and brought it out on the balcony where I released it and it flew away.

It was about 1.5 inches/4 cm long and was pointing around with the back of its body.

After quite a long search on the internet I figured, that it was a cranefly. Tanyptera nigricornis to be exact. They are completely harmless, do neither sting nor bite humans and if they eat something at all, it's nectar. As adults they basically mate and die.




No comments:

Post a Comment