Monday, February 18, 2013

Photowalk

Today's walk was very enjoyable and much more of a success with regard to number and variation of birds seen.

First sight of the day were a few turkeys on a field, picking around on some hay stacks. In the past few years they started to pop up everywhere in the neighbourhood.



When I was on my way to check my first destination, the feeder station at Shirley Bay, I all of the sudden noticed something large on a tree next to the road. I immediately swerved to the right and got out my camera. Indeed, it was a bird of pray, keeping an eye on the road for some tasty treat. I am not 100% sure but I think it might be a red-tailed hawk. He watched me, as I got out of the car and pointed the camera lens towards him. He did not feel comfortable with the attention and took off.



I had the urge to follow him and try to get some more pictures since he just moved a bit down the road but in the end I decided to let him be and continued on my way in the opposite direction.

The feeder station was bustling with people again and I did not feel like mingling. So I continued to my next destination. Mud Lake.

It was a beautiful day for a walk at Mud Lake. The temperature was actually not bad for a walk, around -15C, and thanks to the sunshine and the lack of wind my face was not getting frosty at all.

I met way more birds than yesterday, including:

a very curios chickadee,

an a little bit more shyer white bellied nuthatch,

quite a number of black and grey squirrels,


and last but not least, one porcupine munching on some tender branches.

No comments:

Post a Comment