Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Tasty cornbread



Today I decided to make some cornbread for breakfast. It is a quickly prepared, very satisfying, and actually quite versatile meal. Eat it on its own or maybe with a bit of sour cream on the side. It is also great as a side dish to beef or  vegetable stews (in this case,  I like to reduce the sugar a little bit but, hey, that's just me).

Cornbread
Preheat oven to 375F / 175C

1/4 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup Splenda
1/4 cup raw sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk OR 1/2 cup sour cream + 1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt

Mix together all the dry ingredients.
In a separate bowl, mix together all the remaining ingredients.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet mix and stir it all together for a creamy dough.

Pour the dough into a greased baking dish.
It does not really matter what kind of baking dish one uses, if it's round or rectangular, but I would recommend to use a smaller dish to keep the dough thicker. In my case I used a 5 x 8 in glass baking dish. 


Bake for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment